Onigiri are Japanese rice balls containing meat or vegetable filling. Let’s check out its ingredients and method of preparation.
Per onigiri rice ball
- 65g cooked japanese rice
- 1/4 sheet nori seaweed
- pinch of salt
- shiso perilla leaf (optional)
- sesame seeds (optional)
- cooked chicken
- cooked salmon
- tuna mayo
- pickled plums
- tsukemono japanese pickles
- Begin by cooking the Japanese rice according to your favourite method.
2. With a small amount of salt sprinkled on your hands, mould the rice into small balls or triangles approximately 8cm wide.
3. Create a small well in the centre of the rice and put in your choice of ingredients. Then mould the rice with your hands around the well to cover your filling completely.
4. Using a sheet of nori seaweed, wrap up your ball of rice. Sprinkle some sesame seeds or cut up shiso leaves to put on the rice for a little extra flavour (optional). Enjoy for a snack or during lunch.