It is a classic sandwich and tastes more delicious with hot sauce. Here is a list of ingredients and directions to prepare Shrimp Po’Boy.
- 2 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 1 1/2 pounds medium shrimp (about 36), peeled, deveined
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 4 8″-long French rolls, split horizontally
- Rémoulade Sauce or mayonnaise
- Shredded iceberg lettuce
- Sliced tomatoes
- Dill pickles
- Hot pepper sauce (optional), preferably Crystal
1. Whisk first 8 ingredients in a small bowl to blend. Attach a deep-fry thermometer to side of a heavy wide pot. Add enough oil to measure 2″. Heat over medium heat to 350°.
2. Meanwhile, place shrimp and 2 tablespoons spice mix in a medium bowl and toss to coat. Pour buttermilk into another medium bowl. Whisk flour and cornmeal in another medium bowl.
3. Dip seasoned shrimp briefly in buttermilk, then coat with flour mixture. Working in batches, fry shrimp, stirring occasionally, until golden brown and just cooked through, about 4 minutes per batch. Transfer to paper towels to drain.
4. Open rolls and spread cut sides with rémoulade. Top with lettuce, tomato, pickles, and shrimp. Serve with hot sauce, if desired.