Tarta de Santiago is a almond cake usually adorned with a powdered sugar cross of St. James. Let’s check out its ingredients and method of preparation.
- 250 of crushed raw almonds
- 250 grams of sugar
- 5 eggs
- lemon zest
- 1 tbs of icing sugar to sprinkle
- 1 chunk of unsalted butter to spread on the mold
- 1/2 tsp of powdered cinnamon
- You can use a number of essences to give the cake a nice aroma, such as brandy, cinnamon, etc.
- 1 round detachable mold of 22 cm of ratio and a paper Santiago cross
- Preheat the oven at 175º C (347º F). In a bowl pour the sugar, crushed almonds, cinnamon and lemon zest or other essence. Mix ingredients well with a fork.
2. Add the eggs and mix well with a spoon or rubber spatula, but do not whisk, only make sure all the ingredients are blended.
3. Spread the butter on the mold and pour the mix in it. Put the mold in the oven at 170º C (338º F) for 50 minutes until the surface is toasted and golden.
4. When the cake is done remove from the oven and let it cook before unmolding. When the cake is cold put the paper cross on top of the surface and sprinkle icing sugar evenly using a sieve.
5. Remove the stencil carefully as to not drop all the sugar from the paper on the cake. Enjoy!