It is a bread pudding, usually eaten on Easter in Spain. Here is a list of ingredients and directions to prepare Torrijas.
- 1 loaf of bread. Better if it’s yesterday bread
- 1 liter of milk
- 1 branch of cinnamon
- powdered cinnamon
- lemon peel and orange peel
- 1 cup of sugar
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 liter of olive oil
1. Pour the milk in a sauce pan and put on the fire. Add the sugar, the orange and lemon peel and the branch of cinnamon.
2. Stir to dilute the sugar, before it boils remove from the fire and let it set for 10 minutes so the flavors mix well.
3. Slice the bread in slices of 1,5 or 2 cm. Put each slice in the milk for 10 to 12 seconds. Heat the olive oil.
4. In the meanwhile whisk the eggs and then dip each slice of bread in the batter until completely covered.
5. Now that the oil is hot fry the bread. When each slice has a golden color on both sides remove from the oil and put on absorbent paper.
6. Put the bread in a container so that we can bathe them with milk. Sprinkle the cinnamon powder.