Sweet, soft, and chewy, this Easy Rice Krispies Treats recipe makes the perfect cereal bar treat that pulls apart like a dream and is a total crowd-pleaser.
We love Rice Krispies Treats! This recipe is perfect for a quick side or dessert and can be customized with sprinkles, chocolate, or other add-ins to fit any party theme. Rice Krispies Treats are kid-friendly snacks because they don’t crumble or have icing that gets messy but still remain yummy and fun too. I would even wager to say they are one of Americans’ favorite snacks!
How to Make Homemade Rice Krispies Treats
I have made Rice Krispies Treats for literally everything over the last couple of years. From school plays to Christmas and house parties, these Rice Krispies Treats have graced many dessert tables and were quickly eaten up. And from so many batches, I have nailed down the perfect easy Rice Krispies recipe. They are addictingly sweet and chewy but not sticky or hard. And the secret to making them fun: some simple sprinkles. Easy!
- 1- 9 or 12-ounce box of Rice Krispies cereal (This is around 8-10 cups of Rice Krispies cereal.)
- The best thing about this easy rice Krispies Treat recipe is its flexibility. If you have a 9 or 12-ounce box the recipe still works. For a more chewy Rice Krispies Treat, use around 9 ounces. If you want to stretch these bars and need a lot of servings, use 12 ounces of Rice Krispies. Did someone have a bowl of cereal first? That’s ok. You will be fine if you have around 9-12 ounces of cereal.
- Did you know that Kellogg employees went on strike in 2021? As a result, Kellogg Rice Krispies were extremely hard to find and rumored to no longer be produced. Don’t worry, though. We often use off-brand Rice Krispies called Rice Crisps cereal.
- 2- 10 ounces bags of mini marshmallows
- Mini marshmallows of any brand work best for Rice Krispies treats because they melt down fast with minimal effort. Can you use regular marshmallows for Rice Krispies treats? Yes, but you will spend a lot of time stirring and serious arm strength to get them to melt down. I have made these treats with regular and giant campfire marshmallows(I’m not too fond of food waste.), but if they are all you have, I would highly recommend cutting them in half or thirds before adding them to pan with the butter.
- Remember to use FRESH marshmallows. Do not try this with old, stiff marshmallows. The cereal bars with be hard.
- 1/2 cup of butter
- This is one stick. I typically use salted.
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 2-3 Tablespoons of fun sprinkles
- You can make Christmas Rice Krispies treats or fancy Birthday Rice Krispies Treats simply by adding in a couple of tablespoons for your favorite sprinkles. I would recommend sugar strands called jimmies and quins(The sequin type that come in various flat shapes and sizes.). I would NOT recommend the nonpareils. They are tiny colorful seed bead-like sprinkles that would bleed color when wet.
Directions for Stove Top Rice Krispies Treats
First, measure out the Rice Krispies and put them in a large mixing bowl. *I do this to ensure that I have enough room to stir the treats together gently. Also, this way, the Rice Krispies don’t get smashed, resulting in a dense bar. You can mix the Rice Krispies directly into the saucepan, but you need an extra large saucepan with a knack for being tidying.
Second, in a large saucepan, melt the butter. Add the vanilla extract. Next, add the mini marshmallows in increments to the butter and continuously stir them until melted down. I add one full bag of marshmallows and slowly add more as they melt.
Finally, once the marshmallows are melted into a smooth mixture, pour it into the Rice Krispies and gently stir them until all cereal is coated. Add your favorite sprinkles and stir a couple of times more. Then gently press the treats into a lightly greased 9×13 baking dish with the back of a spatula. (Do NOT firmly press these, or your bars will be dense and hard to eat.) Top with a dusting of sprinkles. Let them cool for at least 30 minutes. Cut into serving size and Enjoy!
*Although these can be eaten immediately, they taste better and are easy to hold once they are completely cooled.
Microwave Rice Krispies Treats (Option Two)
First, pour the Rice Krispies into a large mixing bowl.
Now, in a microwave-safe bowl, add your butter and vanilla extract and microwave for about 30 seconds until the butter is completely melted.
Next, add the first bag of marshmallows and quickly coat them all in melted butter and then microwave them for 1 minute; stir and add more marshmallows and microwave for 30 seconds. Repeat this stirring, adding marshmallows and microwaving for 30 seconds until all marshmallows are melted.
Then, fold the melted marshmallows into the Rice Krispies and stir until all the cereal is coated. Add sprinkles if desired and mix.
Finally, press the cereal into a lightly greased 9×13 baking dish using the back of a spoon. Let it completely cool, cut, and enjoy!
Storing Cereal Bars
Store them in an airtight container for up to 3 days on the counter. We use a 9×13 Tupperware container, making them super portable for camping trips and house parties. There’s no need to refrigerate them. The cereal bars will get hard to eat if you do.
Rice Krispies Treats in a Jelly Roll Pan
This Easy Rice Krispies Treat recipe works perfectly for a 10×15 inch jelly roll pan too. The treats fit the pan but are not as tall. Using the jelly roll pan is great when you are feeding a lot of little kids that might not eat as much or a large crowd at a holiday party.
Easy Rice Krispies Treats
- 12 ouces Rice Krispies Cereal Recipe works with 8-10 cups of cereal.
- 20 ounces mini marshmallows 2- 10 ounce bags
- ½ cup butter salted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons sprinkles optional
- Measure out the Rice Krispies and put them in a large mixing bowl.
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter. Add the vanilla extract. Next, add the mini marshmallows in increments to the butter and continuously stir them until melted down. I add one full bag of marshmallows and slowly add more as they melt.
- Once the marshmallows are melted into a smooth mixture, pour it into the Rice Krispies and gently stir them until all cereal is coated. Add your favorite sprinkles and stir a couple of times more. Then gently press the treats into a lightly greased 9×13 baking dish with the back of a spatula. (Do NOT firmly press these, or your bars will be dense and hard to eat.) Top with a dusting of sprinkles. Let them cool for at least 30 minutes. Cut into serving size and Enjoy! *Although these can be eaten immediately, they taste better and are easy to hold once they are completely cooled.
Other Great Recipes
These Zucchini Cookies with Cream Cheese Frosting are soft cake-like cookies with smooth, creamy icing. This easy cookie recipe is great at helping one use up garden zucchini in a fun and delicious way.
Want to try a family-friendly soup? Our Hamburger Soup with Frozen Vegetables, Italian Sausage, and Zucchini Soup, and Cream Cheese Potato Soup are full of great vegetables and savory flavor! These soups warm the body and soul!
Check out this super simple Ranch Beer Cheese Dip. It’s a cold, creamy Dorito and pretzel dip that comes together quickly! Perfect for those last-minute sides.