Fun orange jello sandwiched between layers of crunchy crushed Oreos and creamy cool whip and cream cheese are an array of yummy flavors and textures that make this Halloween dirt dessert yumtastic. Then garnish it with your scariest gummy creepy crawlers and watch this spooktacular dessert disappear!
My kids can’t get enough of this dessert! I think it’s the layer of orange jello that steals the show here. It’s like there are two desesrt in one! The recipe is a little more time-consuming than most of my go-to desserts however this unique Halloween dirt dessert is totally worth the extra love! Make it the day before and garnish it right before you leave will save you time and dishes on a busy holiday. Bring this side to a Halloween party or gathering, and I am positive it will have rave reviews!
How to make Halloween Dirt Dessert
This dirt dessert is three parts really: You will need to make the jello, oreo, and then cream parts to evenly layer them all neatly together. Thinking of this dessert in these simple sections makes it much more manageable.
Part One: Jello
Let us make the jello because we need it to firm up at least halfway before layering it into the dessert. While you are bringing two cups of water to a boil, pour out the jello packets into a medium size bowl. I like to boil my water in the microwave for 5 minutes so I don’t have to watch it. You can also boil water on the stove in a pan or tea kettle. Next, slowly pour the boiling water on the jello gently stirring until the jello dissolves completely. Then mix in a cup of cold water and 1/2 cup of ice cubes. Stir continually until the jello starts to thicken and ice dissolves. Place jello in the refrigerator to set up while we move on to the second part.
Part Two: Oreos
Crush your 4 cups of Oreos and divide out the Oreos: 3 cups and 1 cup. Then take the 3 cups of Oreos, 1/2 cup of melted butter, and 1/4 cup of sugar and mix in a bowl. Press this into a 9×13 baking dish. This is the crust of the dirt dessert. Place the baking dish into the refrigerator to chill while we make the cream in the third part.
Part Three: Cream Cheese and Cool Whip
In a medium bowl cream together the 8 ounces of softened cream cheese and 1/4 cup powdered sugar with a mixer. Then fold in half of the 12 ounces of cool whip.
Layering your Dessert and Garnish
Next, we layer the parts. Take out the crust and spread the cream cheese mixture on top of it. Then gently break up the jello by stirring it a little and spoon that slowly on top of the cream layer. Refrigerate this all for at least 4 hours.
Once the jello has completely set up and is firm, spread the remaining cool whip on top of it. Now take that remaining 1 cup of crushed Oreos and sprinkle those on top. Garnish with your favorite gummy creepy crawlers and worms. Serve chilled and Enjoy!
Smooth, creamy and crunchy, this Halloween dessert checks all the boxes! It’s great for holiday parties and family gatherings. You can change up the flavor of the jello and customize the dessert to a favorite sports team colors too!
Other Fun Desserts
Try out this simple and speedy dessert! Creamy chocolate and peanut butter goodness melted over a crisp rice Chex cereal and then coated with powdered sugar is the basis of this easy party dessert that I call puppy chow. This puppy chow(or muddy buddies) recipe is small and simple, perfect for a kids snack, and sweet and decadent enough for adults everywhere to love!
Sprinkles are good all year round! Or you could use a white cake mix and customize your sprinkle colors! This simple cake cookies recipe is easy to execute so you can have a great cookie anytime!
More of an appetizer than a dessert but it’s perfect for those Halloween parties! Mummies in a blanket are an easy kid-friendly meal idea! A yummy hot dog wrapped in crescent roll baked until golden brown is perfect for little hands to dunk in their favorite sauces!
Halloween Dirt Dessert
- 6 ounces instant orange jello or any color
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 cup cold water
- ½ cup crushed ice cubes
- 4 cups Oreos crushed, divided
- ½ cup butter melted
- ¼ cup sugar
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- 12 ounces cool whip thawed, divided
- Prepare the jello: Pour the jello packets into a medium bowl and gently stir the boiling water into the jello until it dissolves completely. Then add the ice and cold water continually stirring until the jello starts to thicken. Place the jello in the refrigerator to begin setting up. You will want the jello to be half set up or giggly when you layer in the dish.
- Now, mix 3 cups of Oreo crumbs, melted butter, and sugar in a bowl. Firmly press this into a 9×13 baking dish. Place into the refrigerator to chill.
- In a medium bowl cream together the cream cheese and powdered sugar with a mixer. Then fold in ½ of the 12oz of cool whip.
- Take the Oreo crust out of the refrigerator and spread the cream cheese mixture onto the Oreo crust.
- Next, spoon the thickened jello on top of the cream cheese mixture. (This shouldn't be completely set and you can stir the jello gently to break it up before spooning it on.)
- Now refrigerate the dish for 4 hours or until jello is completely set.
- Lastly spread the remaining cool whip on top of the set jello. Top by sprinkling the remaining Oreos. Garnish with your favorite gummy creepy crawlers. Serve chilled and Enjoy!