Tasty Italian meatballs and tender cheese tortellini mixed with diced tomatoes and frozen vegetables make this simple soup full of flavors that everyone can enjoy! This Italian Meatball and Cheese Tortellini Soup recipe is a one-pot easy meal idea that’s perfect for busy nights!
My husband gobbles this warm soup right up! It is a delicious and hearty soup full of Italian flavors. Plus, this simple Italian meatball soup is literally an entire meal in and of itself! With protein, pasta, and tons of vegetables, there’s no need to worry about sides. We simply serve it with crusty bread or eat it plain.
Easy Meatball Soup with Tortellini
The best part about this soup recipe is that the ingredients have been streamlined to pantry staples that are easy to have on hand for a one-pot meal that takes 30 minutes to prepare!
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 1 small-medium onion diced
- 1 tablespoon of minced garlic
- 48 ounces of beef broth
- 2- 14.5oz cans of petite diced tomatoes
- 16 ounces of frozen vegetables
- 1 tablespoon of Italian seasoning
- 16 ounces of frozen meatballs
- We prefer Italian meatballs but traditional meatballs work well too. Homemade meatballs are great as well! Tip: For small kids and easier eating, you can half or quarter the meatballs.
- 19 ounces of frozen cheese tortellini
- Feel free to use fresh tortellini or tortellini with spinach and cheese. Also you can subsitute out the tortellini for ditalini, macaroni, otzo or rotini pasta for a more traditional Italian meatball soup. Tip: Omit the pasta altogether for a gulten free option.
- 1- 6oz can of tomato paste
- grated parmesan cheese and fresh parsley for garnish
Most of these ingredients can be substituted. If you want to do fresh veggies in this soup. Try 1/2 cup of each green beans and chopped carrots along with a 1/2 cup of chopped kale or spinach. You can also do about 16 ounces of Normandy blend frozen veggies.
More or less of the beef broth and petite tomatoes too. Getting the broth as thick or thin as you like is fine as long as you use this recipe as a guide.
We like to add the tomato paste for added thickness and sweetness but if you don’t have it, don’t sweat it. You can add a tablespoon or two of sugar to sweeten the soup as well.
First, in a stockpot over medium heat, cook the chopped onions, minced garlic, and butter until the onions are just browning and tender. This takes about 5 minutes.
Next, add the beef stock, petite diced tomatoes, tomato paste, frozen vegetables, and the Italian seasoning and bring that to a boil. Let it simmer at a low boil for about 10 minutes.
Finally, add in your Italian meatballs and frozen cheese tortellini and bring that to a boil. Then let it simmer for 5-7 minutes until the meatballs and tortellini are cooked through.
Garnish this meatball and tortellini soup with grated parmesan cheese and fresh parsley. Also serving it with garlic toast or knots is delicious. Serve warm and enjoy!
How to Store Meatball Soup
Meatball soup with tortellini keeps well for up to 5 days in an airtight container in the refrigerator. The tortellini or any pasta will continue to absorb the broth so you might want to thin out your soup with more broth. My family actually prefers this soup reheated when the flavors have had more time to incorporate.
Can you freeze Italian Meatball and Cheese Tortellini Soup?
You can freeze meatball and cheese tortellini soup for up to 3 months in an airtight container.
More Great Meal Ideas
These sliders work great for a meal or an appetizer! Warm melted mozzarella cheese, the mild kick of pepperoni, and scrumptious pizza sauce all baked between sweet Hawaiian rolls glazed with a melted butter mixture of Italian seasoning and parmesan cheese is this delectable Pizza Sliders recipe. It’s a simple and classic slider that pleases all crowds!
Still rolling with pizza for a bit. You should try this Pizza Spaghetti Bake recipe that brings spaghetti and pizza together for the perfect marriage of carbs, cheese, and your favorite toppings. Warm and delicious, it’s a meal that will soon become a family favorite!
Browned ground beef crumbles in a savory beef and tomato-based broth with tender potatoes and frozen vegetables makes this colorful soup full of flavor that won’t let you down! This Hamburger Soup with Frozen Vegetables comes together quickly for an easy meal on your busiest nights!
Another great meatless snack option. Flavorful fresh salsa and melted cheese tucked inside a crunchy toasted flour tortilla makes this Salsa and Cheese Quesadilla recipe delightfully simple in both execution and taste.
Italian Meatball and Cheese Tortellini Soup
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small-medium yellow onion chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 48 ounces beef broth
- 29 ounces petite diced tomatoes 2-14.5 ounce cans
- 16 ounces frozen vegetables
- 6 ounces tomato paste 1 can
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 16 ounces Italian meatballs
- 19 ounces frozen cheese tortellini
- grated parmesan and fresh parsely garnish
- In a stockpot over medium heat, cook the chopped onions, minced garlic, and butter until the onions are just browning and tender. This takes about 5 minutes.
- Add the beef stock, petite diced tomatoes, tomato paste, frozen vegetables, and the Italian seasoning and bring that to a boil. Let it simmer at a low boil for about 10 minutes.
- Add in your Italian meatballs and frozen cheese tortellini and bring that to a boil. Then let it simmer for 5-7 minutes until the meatballs and tortellini are cooked through.
- Garnish this meatball and tortellini soup with grated parmesan cheese and fresh parsley. Also serving it with garlic toast or knots is delicious. Serve warm and enjoy!