The sweet crunch of frozen chocolate and creamy almond butter on a yummy Medjool date and topped with a sprinkle of chopped peanuts and salt is this Date Snickers recipe. Frozen and refreshing, this easy date snack is the perfect treat for summertime and anyone on the path to eating a little cleaner.
This is the tik tok Date Snickers recipe that went viral but simplified for everyday busy mamas like me. With the sweetness of the date covered in delicious protein and chocolate now, we can have our cake, I mean, dates, and eat them too!
This 5-ingredient guilt-free snack is great to have on hand when a sweet craving hits! Salty and sweet, these Snickers Dates have the whole package. And, since we freeze them, they are out of sight, out of mind, last longer, and are super refreshing!
Homemade Healthy Date Snickers
The best thing about Date Snickers is that the whole recipe can be as easy or complicated as you want it to be. It can be a 2-ingredient super healthy snack with just Medjool dates and almond butter. Then level up and add chocolate for a touch of sweetness. Finally, go all out; use all 5 ingredients for a well-deserved Medjool date candy bar bite that is full of flavor.
Then there are always substitutions. You can substitute it for really clean and whole foods to make these dates a healthy sweet snack. Or substitute all the ingredients for classic favorites and still have an amazing frozen treat too!
I would recommend using a handful of dates to experiment
- Medjool dates
- Fun Fact: Because of the sugar content in dates, they have a long shelf life. That gives you more time to find delicious date-inspired recipes like this one! This Medjool Date Coffee Cake looks amazing!
- Almond butter
- Our your favorite peanut butter. Almond butter can be a bit dry to eat, but by freezing the date Snickers, it’s a great healthy alternative that tastes the same as classic peanut butter without that tacky tongue-smacking reflex.
- Dark chocolate chips or bar
- Any chocolate will do! I have recently found a love for dark chocolate and love incorporating it into all things; however, these Date Snickers taste amazing with semi-sweet chocolate chips too.
- Chopped peanuts and flaky or coarse salt
- Don’t overthink it here: Use what you have because you will only need a small of each. I have even used peanuts from trail mix to sprinkle on top before. Flaky salt looks great, but a sprinkle of any coarse salt will give you that perfect sweet/salty balance as well.
First, pit the dates. Run a shape knife down the side of your date lengthwise to form an opening, remove the pit, and then continue to cut the date in half. Place both halves of the date on a rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment paper cut-side up. Repeat for all your dates.
Then fill each date half with about a teaspoon of almond butter.
Next, add the chocolate topping. Add a line of chocolate chips on top of the almond butter. Or melt the chocolate slowly in a glass bowl by microwaving it 10 seconds at a time until completely smooth. Then put the melted chocolate in a zip lock baggie, cut off one corner, and pipe the chocolate over the date and almond butter.
Finally, but still optional, sprinkle the chocolate-covered dates with chopped peanuts and salt for a little bit of extra flare.
Then freeze the dates(at least 2 hours) and enjoy!
Storing Medjool Dates Snickers
Store these frozen Date Snickers layered between parchment paper in an airtight container for up to 6 months in the freezer.
If you have teeth sensitivity to frozen foods, chill and eat them cold from the refrigerator. Then store them in a single layer in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
Other Great Snack Ideas for Summer
When you have a large family, you need easy desserts that feed a crowd. These 9×13-inch bar desserts are great at keeping guests snacking happy at all your family parties!
Lazy Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars– Truly a lazy recipe but amazing! All the classic chocolate chip cookie taste wrapped up into a delightful bar. Your guest will ask for this recipe!
Peanut Butter Cheerio Bars– This an old family recipe that is perfect for any occasion. Plus, kids seem never to get enough of them. Yummy!
Froot Loops Cereal Treats– So simple and sweet. Kids love these for the color too!
Golden Grahams S’mores Bars– My inner 90’s child is still drooling over this nostalgic cereal bar. Crunchy Golden Grahams Cereal, chocolate, and marshmallows: What’s not to love?
Apple Dump Cake– A great fall dessert! This a warm dessert that comes together quickly and is loved by all.. especially on a crisp fall day.
- 12 Medjool dates
- ½ cup almond butter
- 4 ounces dark chocolate chips or bar
- ¼ cup chopped peanuts optional
- flaky or coarse salt optional
- Pit the dates: Run a shape knife down the side of your date lengthwise to form an opening, remove the pit, and then continue to cut the date in half. Place both halves of the date on a rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment paper cut-side up. Repeat for all your dates.
- Fill each date half with about half to one teaspoon of almond butter.
- Add the chocolate topping: Add a line of chocolate chips on top of the almond butter. Or melt the chocolate slowly in a glass bowl by microwaving it 10 seconds at a time until completely smooth. Then put the melted chocolate in a zip lock baggie, cut off one corner, and pipe the chocolate over the date and almond butter.
- Optional: sprinkle the chocolate-covered dates with chopped peanuts and salt for a little bit of extra flare.Freeze the dates(at least 2 hours) and enjoy! Store frozen.